TIES Inclusive Education Roadmap
- Agran, M., Jackson, L., Kurth, J. A., Ryndak, D., Burnette, K., Jameson, M., Zagona, A., Fitzpatrick, H., & Wehmeyer, M. (2020). Why Aren’t Students with Severe Disabilities Being Placed in General Education Classrooms: Examining the Relations Among Classroom Placement, Learner Outcomes, and Other Factors. Research and Practice for Persons with Severe Disabilities, 45(1), 4–13. https://doi.org/10.1177/1540796919878134
- Bal, A., Kozleski, E. B., Schrader, E. M., Rodriguez, E. M., & Pelton, S. (2014). Systemic Transformation from the Ground-Up: Using Learning Lab to Design Culturally Responsive Schoolwide Positive Behavioral Supports. Remedial and Special Education, 35(6), 327–339. https://doi.org/10.1177/0741932514536995
Bierman, K. L., Coie, J. D., Dodge, K. A., Greenberg, M. T., Lochman, J. E., & McMahon, R. J. (2002). The implementation of the Fast Track Program: An example of a large-scale prevention science efficacy trial. Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology, 30, 1–17. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1014292830216
- Bowman, J., McDonnell, J., Ryan, J., Coleman, O. F., Conradi, L. A., & Eichelberger, C. (2020). Effects of General Education Teacher-Delivered Embedded Instruction to Teach Students with Intellectual Disability to Solve Word Problems. Education and Training in Autism and Developmental Disabilities, 3, 318–331.
- Carter, E. W., Asmus, J., Moss, C. K., Biggs, E. E., Bolt, D. M., Born, T. L., Brock, M. E., Cattey, G. N., Chen, R., Cooney, M., Fesperman, E., Hochman, J. M., Huber, H. B., Lequia, J. L., Lyons, G., Moyseenko, K. A., Riesch, L. M., Shalev, R. A., Vincent, L. B., & Weir, K. (2016). Randomized Evaluation of Peer Support Arrangements to Support the Inclusion of High School Students With Severe Disabilities. Exceptional Children, 82(2), 209–233. https://doi.org/10.1177/0014402915598780
- Collins, B. C., Evans, A., Creech-Galloway, C., Karl, J., & Miller, A. (2007). Comparison of the Acquisition and Maintenance of Teaching Functional and Core Content Sight Words in Special and General Education Settings. Focus on Autism and Other Developmental Disabilities, 22(4), 220–233. https://doi.org/10.1177/10883576070220040401
Darling-Hammond, L., Hyler, M. E., & Gardner, M. (2017). Effective Teacher Professional Development. Palo Alto, CA: Learning Policy Institute. https://bibliotecadigital.mineduc.cl/bitstream/handle/20.500.12365/17357/46%20Effective_Teacher_Professional_Development_REPORT.pdf?sequence=1
Deming, W. E. (1986). Out of the crisis (p. 507). Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Center for Advance Engineering Study.
- DuFour, R., DuFour, R., Eaker, R., Many, T., & Mattos, M. (2016). Learning by doing: A handbook for Professional Learning Communities at WorkTM. Solution Tree.
- Fisher, M., & Meyer, L. (2002). Development and Social Competence after Two Years for Students Enrolled in Inclusive and Self-Contained Educational Programs. Research and Practice for Persons with Severe Disabilities, 27(3), 165–174.
- Fixsen, D., Blase, K. A., Timbers, G. D., & Wolf, M. M. (2001). In search of program implementation: 792 replications of the Teaching-Family Model. In G. A. Bernfeld, D. P. Farrington, & A. W. Leschield (Eds.), Offender rehabilitation in practice: Implementation and evaluating effective programs. Wiley.
Fixsen, D., Blase, K., Horner, R., Sims, B., & Sugai, G. (2013). Scaling Up Brief: Readiness for Change (No. 3; State Implementation & Scaling Up of Evidence-Based Practices, pp. 1–5). https://nirn.fpg.unc.edu/sites/nirn.fpg.unc.edu/files/resources/SISEP-Brief3-ReadinessForChange.pdf
Fixsen, D. L., Naoom, S. F., Blase, K. A., Friedman, R. M., & Wallace, F. (2005). Implementation research: A synthesis of the literature. Louis de la parte Florida Mental Health Institute, National Implementation Research Network. https://nirn.fpg.unc.edu/sites/nirn.fpg.unc.edu/files/resources/NIRN-MonographFull-01-2005.pdf
- Fixsen, D., & Van Dyke, M. (2020). Implementation Teams: The Missing Link for Scaling and Sustaining Effective Practice. Federal Probation, 84(2), 18–22.
- Garmston, R., & Wellman, B. (2016). The Adaptive School: A Sourcebook for Developing Collaborative Groups. Christopher-Gordan.
- Gee, K., Gonzalez, M., & Cooper, C. (2020). Outcomes of Inclusive Versus Separate Placements: A Matched Pairs Comparison Study. Research and Practice for Persons with Severe Disabilities, 45(4), 223–240. https://doi.org/10.1177/1540796920943469
- Guskey, T. R. (2002). Professional development and teacher change. Teachers and Teaching, 8(3), 381–391. https://doi.org/10.1080/135406002100000512
Guskey, T. R. (2013). Does it make a difference? Evaluating professional development. ASCD. https://pdo.ascd.org/LMSCourses/PD13OC010M/media/Leading_Prof_Learning_M6_Reading1.pdf
Heifetz, R. A., & Laurie, D. L. (1997). The work of leadership. Harvard Business Review, 75(1), 124–134. https://createvalue.org/wp-content/uploads/Heifetz-The-Work-of-Leadership-1.pdf
- Howley, A., & Telfer, D. (2020, August 17). Inclusive Instructional and Organizational Leadership [Video]. YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8YF3T3rdPg&feature=emb_imp_woyt&ab_channel=TIESCenter
Howley, A., & Telfer, D. (2021). Inclusive instructional and organizational leadership [Video]. TIES Center. https://tiescenter.org/systemic-change
- Hudson, M., Browder, D., & Jimenez, B. (2014). Intervention and Adapted Science Read-Alouds on Listening Comprehension for Participants with Moderate Intellectual Disability. Education and Training in Autism and Developmental Disabilities, 49(1), 60–77.
- Individuals with Disabilities Education Act LRE Requirements, Pub. L. No. 300.114, IDEA Sec. https://sites.ed.gov/idea/regs/b/b/300.114
Jameson, J. M., McDonnell, J., Polychronis, S., & Riesen, T. (2008). Embedded, Constant Time Delay Instruction by Peers Without Disabilities in General Education Classrooms. Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities, 46(5), 346–363. http://dx.doi.org/10.1352/2008.46:346-363
Joyce, B. R., & Showers, B. (2002). Student achievement through staff development (3rd ed.). Association for Supervision & Curriculum Deve (ASCD).
Kleinert, H., Towles-Reeves, E., Quenemoen, R., Thurlow, M., Fluegge, L., Weseman, L., & Kerbel, A. (2015). Where Students With the Most Significant Cognitive Disabilities Are Taught. Exceptional Children, 81(3), 312–328. https://doi.org/10.1177/0014402914563697
- Kozleski, E. B., Hunt, P., Mortier, K., Stepaniuk, I., Fleming, D., Balasubramanian, L., Leu, G., & Munandar, V. (2021). What Peers, Educators, and Principals Say: The Social Validity of Inclusive, Comprehensive Literacy Instruction. Exceptional Children, 87(3), 289–306. https://doi.org/10.1177/0014402920969184
Learning Forward. (n.d.). Standards [website page]. Learning Forward. https://learningforward.org/standards-for-professional-learning/
McLesky, J., Waldron, N. L., Spooner, F., & Algozzine, B. (2014). What are effective inclusive schools and why are they important? In J. McLesky, N. L. Waldon, F. Spooner, & B. Algozzine (Eds.), Handbook of Effective Inclusive Schools: Research and practice (pp. 3–16). Routledge.
National Center on Educational Outcomes. (n.d.). Moving your numbers. National Center on Educational Outcomes. http://www.movingyournumbers.org/
National Council on Disability. (2018). (IDEA Series). The segregation of students with disabilities. National Council on Disability. https://ncd.gov/sites/default/files/NCD_Segregation-SWD_508.pdf
National Implementation Research Network [NIRN]. (n.d.). Selection. University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. https://nirn.fpg.unc.edu/selection
Panzano, P. C., & Roth, D. (2006). The decision to adopt evidence and other innovative mental health practices: Risky business? Psychiatric Services, 57, 1153–1161. https://doi.org/10.1176/ps.2006.57.8.1153
- Polychronis, S. C., McDonnell, J., Johnson, J. W., Riesen, T., & Jameson, M. (2004). A Comparison of Two Trial Distribution Schedules in Embedded Instruction. Focus on Autism and Other Developmental Disabilities, 19(3), 140–151. https://doi.org/10.1177/10883576040190030201
- Ryan, J., Jameson, J. M., Coleman, O. F., Bowman, J. A., Conradi, L. A., Johnson, S. S., & McDonnell, J. (2019). Inclusive Social Studies Content Instruction for Students with Significant Intellectual Disability Using Structured Inquiry-Based Instruction. Education and Training in Autism and Developmental Disabilities, 54(4), 420–436.
Ryndak, D. L., Taub, D., McDaid, P., Lehr, D., Jackson, L., Carter, E., & Cosier, M. (2021, December 1). Results of a literature review on features of inclusive education for systemic change [Conference presentation]. TASH 2021 Conference, Virtual Presentation.
- Shogren, K. A., Burke, K. M., Antosh, A., Wehmeyer, M. L., LaPlante, T., Shaw, L. A., & Raley, S. (2018). Impact of the Self-Determined Learning Model of Instruction on Self-Determination and Goal Attainment in Adolescents With Intellectual Disability. Journal of Disability Policy Studies, 30(1), 22–34. https://doi.org/10.1177/1044207318792178
State Implementation and Scaling Up of Evidence-based Practices. (2015). Coaching Service Delivery Plan Template. University of North Carolina, National Implementation Research Network. https://nirn.fpg.unc.edu/resources/coaching-service-delivery-plan-template
State Implementation and Scaling-up of Evidence-based Practices [SISEP]. (n.d.-a). Module 4: Implementation stages (Active Implementation Hub). University of North Carolina, National Implementation Research Network. https://nirn.fpg.unc.edu/module-4/topic-1-implementation-stages-overview
State Implementation and Scaling-up of Evidence-based Practices [SISEP]. (n.d.-b). Module 4: Topic 6 - Full Implementation (Active Implementation Hub). University of North Carolina, National Implementation Research Network. https://nirn.fpg.unc.edu/module-4/topic-6-full-implementation
State Implementation and Scaling-up of Evidence-based Practices [SISEP]. (2017). Activity 4.2 (Stages): “Exploring” with the Initiative Inventory. (Active Implementation Hub). University of North Carolina, National Implementation Research Network. https://nirn.fpg.unc.edu/resources/initiative-inventory
Telfer, D., & Howley, A. (2020). Video #1: Inclusive Instructional and Organizational Leadership. TIES Center, University of Minnesota. https://tiescenter.org/topics/inclusive-leadership-and-systems-change/systems-change-webinar-series
- Thompson, J. R., Walker, V. L., Shogren, K. A., & Wehmeyer, M. L. (2018). Expanding Inclusive Educational Opportunities for Students With the Most Significant Cognitive Disabilities Through Personalized Supports. Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities, 56(6), 396–411. https://doi.org/10.1352/1934-9556-56.6.396
Tian, M., & Huber, S. G. (2019). Mapping educational leadership, administration and management research 2007–2016. Journal of Educational Administration, 58(2), 129–150. https://doi.org/10.1108/jea-12-2018-0234
TIES Center. (2020). Evidence-based inclusive practices snapshot: Adult behavior overall observation. https://ici-s.umn.edu/files/txa7kknEdM/evidence-based-inclusive-practices-snapshot-word
Vandercook, T., & Missaghi, N. (2017). Team behavior and actions analysis. University of St. Thomas.
Vandercook, T., Nelson, M., & Montie, J. (1998). A school dedicated to inclusion. Principal, 77, 37–39.
Ward, C. S., Kittelman, A., & Rowe, D. A. (2021). Supporting Evidence-Based Practices: What Implementation Activities Are Needed When for Success? TEACHING Exceptional Children, 53(5), 332–335. https://doi.org/10.1177/00400599211010176
- Watkins & Hornak. (2022). A review of implementation science theories, models and frameworks through an equity lens. University of North Carolina, National Implementation Research Network. https://nirn.fpg.unc.edu/practicing-implementation/review-implementation-science-theories-models-and-frameworks-through
Wilcox, G., Fernandez Conde, C., & Kowbel, A. (2021). Using Evidence-Based Practice and Data-Based Decision Making in Inclusive Education. Education Sciences, 11(3), 129. https://doi.org/10.3390/educsci11030129
York-Barr, J., Sommers, W., Ghere, G., & Montie, J. (2016). Reflective Practice for Renewing Schools: An Action Guide for Educators. Corwin. https://doi.org/10.4135/9781506350530