Impact Feature Issue on Direct Support Workforce Development
Resources from the Institute’s Research and Training Center on Community Living
- Frontline Initiative. A newsletter that provides practical information for Direct Support Professionals and shares professional successes. Published by the National Alliance for Direct Support Professionals with support from the Institute’s Research and Training Center on Community Living.
- Research and Training Center on Community Living Direct Support Professional Workforce Development Web Site. This Web site of the Institute’s Research and Training Center carries over 70 newsletter issues, research-based reports, multimedia tools, and other resources of use to Direct Support Professionals, Frontline Supervisors, managers, individuals with disabilities, families, researchers, policymakers, and others.
- Higher Ground: The Dedication of Direct Support Professionals During and After Hurricanes Katrina and Rita. A documentary on DVD telling the stories of some of the heroic Direct Support Professionals from New Orleans who, despite long hours, low pay, and tremendous stress and trauma, continued to provide support services during and after the storms while often not knowing the fate of their own families. Produced by the Institute’s Research and Training Center in conjunction with Volunteers of America of Greater New Orleans.
- Direct Support: A Realistic Job Preview. A video package illustrating the everyday work of Direct Support Professionals. In it, DSPs offer advice about this important career choice. Customized versions for individual agencies are available.
- You Know That It’s Got to Be Dedication That I am Still Here: The Experiences of Direct Support Professionals During Hurricanes Katrina and Rita, and Aftermath. A report describing the experiences of Direct Support Professionals who worked for Volunteers of America of Greater New Orleans before, during and after Hurricanes Katrina and Rita. Published by the Institute’s Research and Training Center in conjunction with the Volunteers of America.