The Student Engagement Instrument (SEI)
Range and Median Scores
The range and median scores across your school can inform where universal interventions or policy examinations may benefit all students.
The range of scores shows the lowest and highest average overall score across the students who completed the SEI.
The median score shows where the midpoint of student responses lie, or that half students answered above this number and half below.
Below are the average range and median scored from the example of student SEI results administered for school-wide identification on the previous slide:
Average Overall SEI Score range: 1.53 - 4.79; Median 3.92
- Family support for learning: 1.25 - 5.00; Median 4.5
- Teacher-student relationships: 1.00 - 4.88; Median 3.625
- Peer support at school: 1.57 - 5.00; Median 3.855
- Control and relevance of school work: 1.00 - 5.00; Median 3.67
- Future goals and aspirations: 1.00 - 5.00; Median 4.4
- Intrinsic motivation: 1.00 - 5.00; Median 3.75