Frontline Initiative: DSPs Using the NADSP Code of Ethics
Tenet 9: Advocacy
Code of Ethics 9: Advocacy: https://www.youtube.com/embed/HiViCP1ND_Y
As a DSP, I will advocate with the people I support for justice, inclusion, and full community participation.
Furthermore, as a DSP, I will:
- Support people to speak for themselves in all matters, and offer my assistance when needed.
- Represent the best interests of people who cannot speak for themselves by partnering with the individual and their support team to gather information and find alternative means of expression.
- Advocate for laws, regulations, policies, and procedures that promote justice and inclusion for all people with disabilities.
- Promote human, legal, and civil rights for all people and help those I encounter to understand these rights.
- Seek additional advocacy services when those that I provide are not sufficient.
- Seek out qualified guidance when I am unsure of the appropriate course of action in my advocacy efforts.
- Recognize that those who victimize people with disabilities must be held accountable.
View and download the National Alliance for Direct Support Professionals Code of Ethics