Frontline Initiative: DSPs Using the NADSP Code of Ethics
Tenet 1: Person-Centered Supports
Code of Ethics Tenet 1: Person Centered Supports: https://www.youtube.com/embed/VvtsVE9E6Qw
As a DSP, my first allegiance is to the person I support; all other activities and functions I perform flow from this allegiance.
Furthermore, as a DSP, I will:
- Commit to person-centered supports as best practice.
- Focus first on the person and understand that my role in direct support will require flexibility, creativity and commitment.
- Recognize that each person is capable of directing their own life.
- Honor those who cannot speak by seeking other ways of understanding them.
- Recognize that the unique culture, social network, circumstances, personality, preferences, needs and gifts of each person I support must be the primary guides for the selection, structure, and use of supports for that person.
- Advocate with the person I support and others when the demands of the system override the needs of those I support, or when individual preferences, needs or gifts are neglected for any reason.
View and download the National Alliance for Direct Support Professionals Code of Ethics