Frontline Initiative: DSPs Using the NADSP Code of Ethics
Tenet 7: Relationships
Code of Ethics Tenet 7: Relationships: https://www.youtube.com/embed/nTmXCH0776o
As a DSP, I will assist the people I support to develop and maintain relationships.
Furthermore, as a DSP, I will:
- Advocate with the people I support when they do not have opportunities to build and maintain relationships.
- Recognize the importance of maintaining reciprocal relationships and proactively facilitating relationships between the people I support, their family and friends.
- Assure that people have the opportunity to make informed choices in safely expressing their sexuality.
- Separate my personal beliefs and expectations regarding relationships (including sexual relationships) from those of the people I support. If I am unable to separate my own beliefs and preferences in a given situation, I will remove myself from the situation and seek the assistance of a qualified coworker.
- Refrain from expressing negative views, harsh judgments, and stereotyping of people.
View and download the National Alliance for Direct Support Professionals Code of Ethics