Frontline Initiative: DSPs Using the NADSP Code of Ethics
Tenet 6: Respect
Code of Ethics Tenet 6: Respect: https://www.youtube.com/embed/LYxhzwFZ-O8
As a DSP, I will respect the human dignity and uniqueness of the people I support. I will recognize each person I support as valuable and promote their value within communities.
Furthermore, as a DSP, I will:
- Seek to understand the people I support today in the context of their personal history, their social and family networks, and their hopes and dreams for the future.
- Recognize and respect the cultural context (such as gender, disability, religion, sexual orientation, ethnicity, socio-economic class) of the person supported and his/her social network.
- Honor the choices, preferences, abilities, and opinions of the people I support.
- Protect the privacy of the people I support.
- Interact with the people I support in a manner that is respectful to them.
- Provide opportunities for the people I support to be viewed and treated with respect and embraced as integral, contributing members of their communities.
- Promote the use of language that is respectful, sensitive, and contemporary.
- Practice positive intention and transparency in my interactions.
View and download the National Alliance for Direct Support Professionals Code of Ethics