Recruiting, Selecting, and Retaining Direct Service Workers to Provide Self-Directed HCBS
Module 1: Understanding Self-Directed Supports
- Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services – Self-Directed Services
- Veteran Directed Care Programs
- Self-Directed Care: A Complete Guide to Roles
Module 2: Finding the Right DSW for You
Module 3: Selecting and Hiring the Right DSW for You
- Interview Questionnaire Worksheet
- DSW Finalist Worksheet
- Roberta’s DSW Finalist Worksheet
- Personal Care and Support Planning Tool
- Four Types of Questions to Ask in a Caregiver Interview
- 11 Questions to Ask a Potential Caregiver
- Caregiver Interview Questions
- Rank Job Applicants Free Template
- Realistic Job Preview Example
Module 4: Welcoming and Training Your New DSW
- Orientation Checklist
- CMS Core Competencies
- Training Plan Example
- Training Plan Template
- SMART Goals
- Example of a Formal Evaluation
There are many more resources that can be found with an internet search or by asking health care providers what organizations they would recommend. Note: Some of the trainings available through these organizations require payment of a fee to participate or to purchase access to the training. Some states provide free access to these programs for direct service workers. Check with your state disability or aging agency.
- United Spinal Association – for information about spinal cord injuries
- Alzheimer’s Association – for information about Alzheimer’s and other dementia
- Brain Injury Association – for information about brain injuries
- National Alliance on Mental Illness – for information about mental illness
- The Arc – for information about intellectual disabilities
- University Centers for Excellence in Developmental Disabilities Education, Research, and Service (UCEDD) - for information about developmental disabilities and other resources
- Leadership Education in Neurodevelopmental and Related Disabilities (LEND) - programs may offer training relevant to people who support individuals with intellectual or other disabilities.
- The National Alliance for Direct Support Professionals (NADSP) - a national credentialing program for direct support professionals.
- The National Family Caregiver Support Program - training and support for family caregivers providing long-term services and supports.
- DirectCourse College of Direct Supports and College of Personal Assistance and Caregiving - online training program
Module 5: Supporting DSW Professionalism
- The National Alliance for Direct Support Professionals' Code of Ethics
- The National Domestic Violence Hotline: Supporting Survivors with Disabilities: When Your Abusive Partner is Also Your Caregiver
Module 6: Recognizing and Managing DSW Stress and Burnout
- Greater Good Science Center
- Caregiver Stress and Burnout
- Caregiver Stress: Tips for Taking Care of Yourself.
- Meditations for Caregivers
Note: Resources listed on this page are provided for informational purposes only and do not necessarily reflect the views of CMS.