Examples of Person-Centered Values to Drive Workforce Strategies
The following are examples of actions that can be included in a plan for improving overall staff development:
- Reviewing and updating job descriptions to ensure person-centered and positive supports are included in performance expectations,
- Establishing a training plan for each staff member that is based on skills needed, areas for growth, and their personal goals,
- Monitoring staff progress and providing ongoing support and feedback to improve performance,
- Ensuring supervisors provide performance reviews with meaningful feedback to staff, and
- Reflecting actively on the role of culture in training and staff performance to improve responsiveness.
Item 22 of the Minnesota Team Checklist reminds teams to make sure the activities that the team decides to use are included in the overall action plan started in Module 5. By the end of Module 6, your team will have a completed list of actions that are dedicated to the topic of staff development and Performance-Based Measurement Systems.
Please use the MN Team Checklist and the HCBS Planning Tool to complete the activity.
Minnesota Team Checklist. Items number 21 and 22 in Staff Performance and Development section.
- 21: Performance-based management process for training staff includes details about person-centered and positive support practices. Score the checklist: 0 – planning not yet started, 1 – in progress, or 2 – fully in place.
- 22: Action plan includes a section related to staff development. Score the checklist: 0 - planning not yet started, 1 - in progress, or 2 - fully in place.
- Checklist item 21: Performance-based management process for training staff includes details about person-centered and positive support practices.
- Checklist item 22: Action plan includes a section related to staff development.
Review the types of trainings in person-centered practices that your organization uses and discuss how these practices are introduced to new and existing staff (recorded in Module 4 Assessment). Discuss how to improve ongoing staff training and support. Add the new actions your team has discussed to improve staff development and performance-based staff development.
If you haven't already done so please use these links to access the tools.