Recruiting, Selecting, and Retaining Direct Service Workers to Provide Self-Directed HCBS

Where Can I Find People to Hire?

1. Listen

Loading audio

2. Read

Organizations in your community such as Centers for Independent Living or state directories for personal care assistants (PCA) are places to look for DSWs.

A man and a woman who appear to be Asian. They are sitting at a table and looking at a computer together. They are both smiling.

Your local Center for Independent Living (CIL) may be able to provide assistance with finding and hiring a DSW.  Centers for Independent Living  are non-profit, community-based organizations that provide peer support, information and referral, individual and systems advocacy, independent living skills training, and transition services. Every state has at least one CIL. Some CILs may use a different name. You can find your local CIL in this directory.

Many states have PCA directories or registries of people looking for direct service work.  Check here or use a search engine such as Bing, Yahoo,  or Google to look for directories in your state.

These local resources may be able to provide assistance with hiring:

  • AAAs – Area Agencies on Aging provide supports for older people to remain in their homes
  • ADRCs – Aging & Disability Resource Centers/No Wrong Door (NWD) are single points of entry for older adults, people with disabilities, caregivers, families, and veterans  to get assistance with long-term supports and services--use a search engine such as Bing, Yahoo,  or Google to search for these resources in your area
  • Local disability or aging social service organizations