Recruiting, Selecting, and Retaining Direct Service Workers to Provide Self-Directed HCBS
How Often Should I Provide Feedback?
Regularly let DSWs know what they are doing well and when they need to change how they do something or if there are problems.
- Provide informal feedback often
- Have formal evaluations once per year
- Formal evaluations should:
- Never be a surprise because of regular, informal feedback
- Provide an overview of the year’s performance
- Provide suggestions for improvement
- Suggest opportunities to learn new skills
- Give DSWs a chance to talk about their performance, training, and supervision needs